Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 53

Thread: The Best Drummer?

  1. #21
    Inactive Member buga's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30th, 2003
    Posts
    325
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah Bingo was definately more musical than animal, even with those banana splits glasses.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">joker mood lately eh> [img]rolleyes.gif[/img]

    While I don't have nothing against Marco I don't think his playing is that much originial in concepts, neither execution of technique, The flow of the ideas isn't as pleasant to the ears as Bozzio's, granted Bozzio has being working at this for what 20 years now, and certainly has as much energy as Marco(for his age!). But make no doubt about it when it combes to interdependicies on the kit, the guy is one of the most advanced i've seen. Rhythmic possibilities; playing odd yet melodic meters among different limbs over 4/4 and pushing the limits of what can be done by two hands and two feet on a drum kit, reverse flam paradiddles on both hands and feet, double stroke grooves and fills on the double kick pedals, triplets, quintuplets, seven-uptlets.

    The camera angles on the DVD capture that greatly(THANK GOD u know what I mean!). It's sort of watching a perfect girl, u just don't know what u should focus on, you maybe interested in his left foot clave action while totally missing out on sum insane crazy tom-fill/crash accent. While talking about hand technique he uses finger stick control for parts that need speed and Moeller if he is playing something that needs speed and dynamics (like a fast melodic pattern on the toms).

  2. #22
    Inactive Member McKenzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 28th, 2003
    Posts
    531
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I agree with about all you said Bozz. I do like listening to Terry more than Marco. I do think as far as layering rhythm's then improvising over them Marco is more advanced than Terry but that is about it for me. I cannot get into Marco's playing other than the interdependence concepts which i do think are creative and challenging. Terry is of course more original having done much of what Marco is doing beforehand. But Marco still is a GREAT player.

    Digital

  3. #23
    Inactive Member roto Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 24th, 2003
    Posts
    19
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Exclamation

    Ok I see this board is anti Buddy Rich! The Hell with you all!

  4. #24
    HB Forum Owner Steve Holmes's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2001
    Posts
    1,243
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I dont like using the word BEST for musical things but there is something to be said about versatility.
    I mean being able to achieve excellence in various different musical situations. Not get-by, but achieving excellence. A lot of studio guys have a session list the size of their arm, but it ends there. I like the fact that Vinnie has that, but is also a monster technician as well as a great jazz/fusion player. NO session guys (Arnoff, Robinson, etc) can say that.

    And not many other fusion monsters (Weckl, Donati, Smith etc) can tout the huge session list that Vinnie has. And I mean HUGE, dating back to the 70's folks. I can't think of another guy that achieves excellence in both fields like that. That's part of the reason he's my favorite. He's truly one of a kind.

    Granted Gadd is regarded for both worlds as well but Gadd is not progressive. He's playing the same stuff now he was back in the 80's and most guys can play that stuff now. Can't say that about Vinnie. Gadd's stuff is truly innovative granted, he was the first guy in the limelight to play those kind of ideas, which essentially provided the foundation for fusion drumming as we know it today.

  5. #25
    Inactive Member peter c's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Oh, c'mon, Roto...

    No one is anti-Buddy.
    If other drummers like
    other drummers, what's
    wrong with that?

    Couldn't it be said that
    you are anti-other drum-
    mers? Hmm? Talk about
    "anti-"... Just visit his
    site and you'll see "anti".
    The apple doesn't fall
    far from the tree.

    He is STILL the benchmark
    in so many ways. No one
    denies that.

    Now, about Gadd... [img]wink.gif[/img]

    And what about Tony?! [img]graemlins/shhh.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 04, 2003 11:12 PM: Message edited by: peter c ]</font>

  6. #26
    Inactive Member peter c's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Roto,

    Buddy was primarily known for his
    speed and facility around the kit.
    That Virgil is fast is only a part
    of the equation, just as it was
    for Buddy.

    What criticism did you interpret
    from my writings, Roto, save that
    I said he wasn't the most musical
    drummer and that his site is flag-
    rantly biased?

    I have as much respect for Buddy
    as you or anyone. Respect is not
    worship. If anything, in what I
    said, I came the closest to agree-
    ing with you.

    I never said that I had the kind of
    skill of a Buddy Rich. I wish I
    could play the drums less than half
    as good as he!

    Roto, it's hard to find the positive in
    this statement:

    "Frankly Peter C I have heard some of
    your mp3's and although some of the Big
    Band stuff is somewhat o.k. You really
    have no right criticising anyones playing
    let alonre the likes of Buddy Rich!"

    Like you, Roto, I have EVERY right to
    say what I feel about anyone's playing,
    just as you did about Buddy and Virgil.
    Am I upset over the fact that you don't
    think that Virgil compares to Buddy?
    Am I admonishing you for stating your
    opinion and mind you, again, I pract-
    ically agreed with you, when I said that
    Buddy's was the bar(?).

    I don't know what to make of this. If
    someone can help me decipher this com-
    munication, I'd be glad to respond:

    "No More Beards" How dare you call
    yourself a Jazz drummer and wear a
    Taliban Beard!"

    This is exactly the kind of thing that
    goes on over at Buddy's site and why
    there's no real interchange of ideas
    there, in my opinion. This forum dif-
    fers in that people are free to ex-
    press their ideas about the drums
    and those that play them.

    Please post your music, Roto. I'd
    love to see a video of you playing.
    I'm very anxious to hear what your
    limbs can do. It sounds like you have
    earned the right to criticize and I
    haven't. Oh, and I'm very sorry that
    I fall short, as far as you are con-
    cerned. My apologies.

    It's hard not to feel afronted by what
    you have communicated but I will ack-
    nowledge your right to say whatever
    you feel, Roto.

    [img]cool.gif[/img]

    PS: Here's a sample I'd like you to
    learn. Download it and create the
    drum-part for it, recording and then
    posting it, so I can rise to the real
    standard for drums here:

    www.thediametrixletter.com/mambonights.zip

    Of course, mine won't hold a candle
    to yours but I want to practice and
    become as good as you, so I can talk
    like that.

    www.thediametrixletter.com/mambonights9.mp3

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 04, 2003 09:25 PM: Message edited by: peter c ]</font>

  7. #27
    Inactive Member FlamTriplet's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 26th, 2003
    Posts
    520
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey Roto, who is that glamorous picture in your avatar? By the way, please do not post here and pick on other members. Peter C has said a lot of great things. He doesn't deserve your immature snide remarks and neither does this board.

    [img]graemlins/whatever.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 04, 2003 08:10 PM: Message edited by: Derek DeFields ]</font>

  8. #28
    Inactive Member roto Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 24th, 2003
    Posts
    19
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    sorry peter. [img]graemlins/rainbow.gif[/img]

  9. #29
    Inactive Member roto Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 24th, 2003
    Posts
    19
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Kieth stop posting under my name!

  10. #30
    Inactive Member peter c's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    All is forgiven, Roto.

    Try the drum-part anyway.
    I think you might like it.

    [img]cool.gif[/img]

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •